It is sad to see so many homeless animals trying to survive on a day to day basis. Most of my cats have been from the streets needing care in one form or another. And to be honest, it is a huge responsibility as they depend on you for their life. We take into consideration their needs and well being for decisions done in the home. It's similar to child proofing your house. And when their time comes to go to the Rainbow Bridge, the heart break is staggering.
But seeing them grow from a scrawny, frightened kitten to a beautiful, confident cat is a reward in itself. And each of them have their own unique personality. I've observed that each may have the following characteristics or a combination of some.
- the brat - he comes first
- the affectionate one - always happy to see me
- the obsessive one - always happy to see me and never leaves my side, always almost causing me to fall on my face
- the loner - lives in his own world except at meal times
- the bully - has his own private space and woe to the kitty who trespasses
- the lap kitty - always has time to snuggle whenever a lap is available and the reason for my stocks of lint roller refills
- the prima donna - her attitude is that every other cat is beneath her
No matter the character or temperament, they all have a special place in my heart and I couldn't imagine life without them.